Nitrous Oxide - N2O
Proper Shipping Name: Nitrous oxide, compressed
UN NO.: UN 1070
Hazard labels: 2.2—Nonflammable Gas. Oxidizer
CAS No.: 10024-97-0
- Nitrous oxide can be used as an oxidizer in a rocket motor.
- It is also used as an oxidizer in rocketry and in motor racing to increase the power output of engines.
- It is approved for use as a food additive (also known as E942), specifically as an aerosol spray propellant.
- It is used in surgery and dentistry for its anesthetic and analgesic effects.
- It is known as "laughing gas" due to the euphoric effects of inhaling it, a property that has led to its recreational use as a dissociative anesthetic.